Conservation payments to producers that reflect environmental benefits.
At Rural Investment to Protect our Environment (RIPE), we believe farmers and ranchers should be fairly rewarded for the public benefits of their conservation practices.
That’s why producers who voluntarily implement stewardship practices would earn payments above implementation costs, based on the public value they provide, through our proposal. Payments would reflect the value of public benefits such as soil health, clean water, water conservation, wildlife conservation and climate mitigation. RIPE-approved practices exceed $100 per acre or animal unit in public benefits.
Legislators on both sides of the aisle are interested in the RIPE proposal but need to hear from producers before moving forward.
Here’s how the RIPE proposal will work for you:
- Lowers practice implementation risk.
- Simple, practical program, with easy application.
- Rewards early adopters and demonstrates greenhouse gas “additionality.”
- Compensates voluntary stewardship at levels that align with the combined environmental values delivered.
- Equity and inclusion baked into the policy. Available to all producers.
- Does not compete for funds against existing safety net programs.
- Complements existing markets and programs by allowing stacked payments up to the public value delivered by the practice.